Spicy Boiled Gulf Shrimp with Cocktail Sauce
- 1 Onion large Onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks Celery coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 bulb Garlic cut to expose all the cloves
- 2 Lemon cut in half
- 3 tbsp Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp Zatarain's liquid boil seasoning
- 1⁄2 tsp. Ground cayenne
- 8 cups Water
- 18 Shrimp colossal, jumbo or extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined; heads removed
- as needed Cocktail Sauce chilled
- In a nonreactive 5.5 quart pot, combine the onions, celery, garlic, lemon halves, kosher salt, seafood boil, and cayenne. Add the 8 cups of water.
- ?Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and let simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and return liquid to a boil. Remove from heat and let sit, uncovered for five minutes.
- ?Strain the shrimp and other contents of the pot in a large mesh strainer. Spread the strained shrimp and other ingredients from the strainer on a rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate uncovered until well chilled, at least two hours, before serving.
- Once chilled, serve with cocktail dipping sauce.
Compliments of Louisiana Seafood Promotion & Marketing Board