- Canola oil (for frying) as needed
- 1 Eggplant
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Egg
- 1⁄2 cup Milk
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 cup Bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Red pepper chopped
- 1 Garlic clove minced
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Dry white wine
- 1 tbsp Capers
- 1⁄8 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1.5 lb Gulf shrimp large, peeled
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 12 Olives ripe, pitted
- 1⁄4 cup Cilantro fresh, chopped
- Heat canola oil in deep skillet on medium-high heat to 350ºF.
- Slice eggplant into quarter-inch rounds; season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk to make egg wash.
- Dip eggplant rounds in flour, then into egg wash and coat with bread crumbs. Fry eggplant about 2 minutes per side until golden brown. Drain and keep warm.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 3 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, chopped red pepper and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook until softened.
- Stir in wine, capers, and red pepper flakes; bring sauce to a simmer. Add shrimp and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Add butter and simmer until sauce thickens. Stir in olives and cilantro. To serve, arrange fried eggplant slices on serving plate and top with shrimp and sauce.
Compliments of Fresh from Florida Gulf Seafood