Gulf Oyster Beignets with Celery Root Rémoulade
- 36 Gulf Oysters cleaned, shucked
- 2 qt Celery root fine julienne
- 1 tsp Kosher slat
- 2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 cup Creole mustard
- 4 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tsp TABASCO
- 1⁄2 cup Parsley
- 2 qt Canola oil for frying
- 3.5 cup Flour sifted, divided
- 1⁄2 cup Cornstarch
- 4 tsp Baking soda
- 1 taste Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cup Pilsner beer
- 1 cup Ice
- 4 tsp Creole seasoning
- Place celery root in bowl and sprinkle with kosher salt. Let stand for 10 minutes and then use cloth napkin to wring out as much liquid as possible.
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, TABASCO and parsley. Toss with celery root and mix to combine thoroughly. Reserve.
- Fill an 8-qt. stock pot with oil. Heat to 375°F.
- Combine 2 cups sifted flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add beer and ice and mix gently until combined but still lumpy. Do not over mix. Let batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1½ cups flour with Creole seasoning. Dredge oysters in flour mix and shake off excess flour. Working in batches, dip oysters into batter and drop into hot oil. Fry until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Season with salt to taste. Keep hot in a 200°F oven until all oysters are cooked.
- Serve 3 beignets per plate over celery root rémoulade.
Compliments of Louisiana Seafood Promotion & Marketing Board