- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 lb Gulf Shrimp large, peeled
- 3 Garlic cloves large, pressed
- 1⁄4 tsp Dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup Sweet (red) vermouth
- 15 oz Diced tomatoes drained
- 3⁄4 cup Heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup Fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 lbs. Capellini (angel-hair pasta)
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then cook shrimp and garlic with oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, turning once, until golden, about 2 minutes total.
- Stir in vermouth and tomatoes, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of skillet. Add cream and briskly simmer until sauce has thickened slightly, about 1 minute. Stir in lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, cook capellini in a pasta pot of boiling salted water (3 tablespoons salt for 6 quarts water) until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta-cooking water, then drain pasta.
- Serve immediately, topped with shrimp and sauce. Thin with some of reserved water if necessary. Recipe by Paul Grimes Photograph by Romulo Yanes