Bacon Wrapped Oyster with Shallot Confit and Cayenne Crust
- 6 Freshly shucked oysters
- 6 strips Smoked bacon
- 3 Shallots peeled
- Champagne vinegar to taste
- 1⁄4 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 oz Cayenne pepper
- 2 qts Vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- To prepare the bacon wrapped oysters, blanch bacon in boiling water for three minutes. Cut bacon so that it wraps completely around oyster with ¼ overlap.
- To prepare the shallot confit, slowly caramelize shallots in oil and butter, add brown sugar. Season with salt, pepper, and vinegar.
- To prepare the cayenne crust, Combine oil and cayenne pepper in saucepot, bring to a simmer and allow to rest one hour, strain and cool.
- In a food processor puree breadcrumbs and add ½ cup of cayenne oil while running.
- Assemble oyster by searing bacon wrapped oyster in non-stick skillet till crisp.
- Warm shallot confit and place in oyster shell, place oyster on confit, and top with cayenne breadcrumbs.
- Lightly toast oyster in broiler and serve hot.
Compliments of Louisiana Seafood Promotion & Marketing Board